Thursday, October 28, 2010

The iPhone Virtual Keyboard Frustrations



I am growing frustrated with my iPhone virtual keyboard. Switching to a non-physical keyboard back in 2007 was a big step for me but I ended adapting to it pretty fast and actually found myself to be comfortable with it very fast. I, however, am starting to reconsider this as there are more and more viable options to the iPhone becoming available (think: Android!). I use 3 different languages and hence 3 different international keyboards on my iPhone on a daily basis and I must say that things are getting messier and messier. Although I have gone through the trouble of resetting my custom dictionaries many times, it seems that my French keyboard cannot spell "après" properly, it keeps auto-correcting it to "Apres" every time I type it. I tried many "tricks" but none solved this problem. I was even able to replicate this issue on other iPhones using a multiple international keyboard setup. In addition, I must say that the process of switching from one language to another is cumbersome to say the least. I'm really getting tired of typing something in English only to realize that I was using the Portuguese keyboard and that my first 5 words have already been auto-corrected to Portuguese.

Apple really needs to solve this problem. What they should do, in my opinion, is allow the iPhone to use multiple languages at the same time and try and figure out which one the user is using after the first or four or five words they have typed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be a customization, something that Apple would NEVER ALLOW!!!

Dagon said...

Iphone is no longer the true phone...

PSP phone :

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/affpic.htm?imd/p/psphone.jpg

LOL

Anonymous said...

Ah ben voilà! moi aussi mon iPhone me met "Apres" et non "après"... et ce, seulement depuis 2-3 semaines. Y aurait-il un virus "Apres" dans la pomme???